KARE is a two-person project that provides medical care to the street dogs in Kirtipur, Nepal. KARE provides rabies vaccinations, deworming for puppies, treatment for mange, spay/neutering, rescue/adoption, and other urgent medical care.

Why Are We Here?

During the first week of my stay in Kirtipur in 2004, I had trouble sleeping after seeing a street dog with a 6-inch gash on his hind leg and maggots crawling around the wound. Clearly, the dog was in great pain and needed medical attention.

I started inquiring about a veterinarian and, after three days of asking and hiking around the area, found Rajendra Bista, the municipal veterinarian two villages away. I didn’t realize how far my few dollars would go in a place like Nepal until I started working with Bista-ji on providing medical attention to these animals.

Our program has worked to help over 100 street dogs in Kirtipur with medical help as well as adoption to local families! We’ll be posting updates from the clinic and photos of the dogs we’ve helped (including some that sadly didn’t make it) to help show how this program works.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home